Jamaican Breadfruit Flour.
This Made in Jamaica flour is gluten free and vegan friendly. A high energy food, it contains significant amounts of potassium and dietary fibre, both essential for a healthy heart.
Breadfruit has a starchy texture that holds up well when baked, boiled or when cooked in numerous other ways. Traditionally Jamaicans eat breadfruit roasted or boiled in soups. Now the breadfruit is being transformed into a flour!
Chemical analysis of the breadfruit flour indicates a high starch content, a fairly high crude fibre and ash contents and a low protein content. It has poor pasting characteristics, as many products baked with 100% breadfruit flour tend to be dense and highly cracked. For this reason at times breadfruit flour may need to be paired with wheat, almond or other flours.
Fortunately for us it does beautifully on its own with traditional Jamaican favourites such as fritters, dumplings and puddings.
Breadfruit is fantastic because…
• Naturally grown in Jamaica
• 100% gluten-free
• It can replace wheat flour in many recipes
• Protein has full amino acids your body requires (one of few flours to offer this)
• High in potassium (rare for a gluten-free flour)
• High in vitamin A (rare for a gluten-free flour)
• Low in saturated fat
• Low-medium GI
• 40% higher in fibre (rare for a gluten-free flour)
• Beneficial for diabetics
• Aids in lowering cholesterol (LDLs)
• Contains resistant starches (prebiotics)
• Rich in antioxidants, magnesium, copper, calcium, thiamine, niacin and phosphorus